To apply for this vacancy please fill out the application form at the bottom of this page.
Support Worker / Care Assistant - St George (FR)
Furber Road - St George
£8.79 per hour + excellent benefits
Job Ref: LW06
37.5 hours per week
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Support Worker to join Milestones Trust. We are a not-for-profit charitable organisation with a 32 year history of offering person-centred support to vulnerable people with learning disabilities, mental health needs and dementia.
Based at Furber Road, St George, Bristol with a basic of £8.79 per hour + excellent benefits, you will be responsible for encouraging and supporting service users to define and develop their chosen lifestyles through personal centred care in our residential services.
Furber Road is a five-bed detached bungalow, which currently caters for five residents over the age of 45 who have learning disabilities. Staff provide round the clock care and can cater for people with a range of complex needs, including visual and auditory impairment, communication difficulties and physical disabilities.
Many of the residents at the home do not use verbal communication and staff there are adept at communicating with each individual in their own unique way. Staff support people to make their own choices by using pictures of activities and food.
Residents at the home are supported to do a variety of hobbies, including singing, hydrotherapy and visiting garden centres. Inside the home people enjoy reading, doing jigsaws and drawing.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, compassionate person to join our established friendly team.
The successful candidate will be a good communicator, able to work individually and as part of a team and have a positive and creative approach to supporting the clients at Furber Rd enjoy a variety of social activities of their choosing.
In return, we will offer you some excellent benefits including:
- Up to 26 days’ holiday and 8 days’ bank holiday entitlement
- Family friendly/work-life balance policies
- Company pension scheme & health cash plan (BHSF)
- Free parking at most Trust services
- Comprehensive induction and learning and development opportunities
- Access to all levels of training appropriate to your role and career progression with the Trust.
THE ROLE: As Support Worker, your responsibilities will include:
- We pride ourselves with being able to offer staff opportunities to develop and progress their careers within Milestones Trust.
- To encourage and enable service users to make day-to-day choices and major life decisions, signposting as appropriate, and to develop a positive self-image and maintain good health.
- To support service users to develop relationships to maintain contact with family and friends.
- To provide service users with the agreed necessary support to maximise their independence and to develop social and life skills
YOU: The successful Support Worker will:
- Have strong communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with team members, service users and a range of stakeholders.
- Have a caring manner and a tolerant nature, experience within the sector is not essential as we will provide you with training required to carry out your duties.
- Be able to support people with their personal hygiene needs and have some understanding of non-verbal communication.
- Due to the location of the home and the need to access activities within the local community, it is a preferred that staff are able to drive
For an informal discussion about the job role please contact Carol Halton, Home Manager, on 0117 9352157.
**This is an on-going advert and interviews will be held on an ad-hoc basis until sufficient applications have been received.
Alternatively, to apply for this role please complete the below application form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Milestones Trust is committed to the safeguarding and welfare of all the individuals that it supports, it expects the same commitment from all employees.
If successful at interview an enhanced DBS check will take place. (Formerly CRB)
A criminal record is not necessarily a barrier to recruitment.
Committed to Equality and Diversity for all Registered Charity No. 294377.